Property Management and Renovations


Property management, reformations and refurbishment in Mallorca


Who will be looking after your new home in Mallorca and overseeing the renovation work?


Property management in Mallorca


Property management can involve anything from the occasional house visit to air the rooms and tend to the garden, to full time, live-in help. Alternatively, a property management company can organise everything needed to run a home or a rental property; laundry, shopping, general maintenance, the pool and garden are all in need of continuous upkeep. There are a myriad of property management companies available to choose from spread all over the island. Most real estate agencies have their own rentals department and can offer property management as part of a bigger rentals package or will be able to advise on respected property management companies operating in the area.


Property management for rentals in Mallorca


If you are planning to rent your property on a seasonal basis and wish to manage the rentals business yourself then there are cleaning outfits and gardening and maintenance companies which can take care of your property while you are away or during the rental period. This method involves you liaising with each member of the team. Alternatively appoint an individual or company to organise the management and help translate between the different parties, holiday renters, gardener and cleaner and you.


Property management for private homes in Mallorca


If you are going to be spending large periods away from your new property on the island, then you may be interested in employing the services of a local couple, who will take care of the house and grounds. This is the traditional method and seems to work quite well. A local farmer and his wife will keep the place clean and look after the trees and grounds, possibly planting a vegetable plot, which they will benefit from while you are away.


Property renovation and refurbishment in Mallorca


You have bought a property and now need to embark on the reform or refurbishment work to make it exactly how you want it. Being away is your biggest handicap, as even the best builders will need to be able to comunicate with you regularly. If your Spanish language is good and you plan to fly back and forth then you may be able to pull it off alone. Otherwise, you are advised to seek a manager to keep an eye on things on this side.

There are a number of considerations but above all, high organisational skills are required.


Establish who is responsible for the construction work (obra)


According to Spanish Law, the architect (arquitecto superior) and the technical architect (arquitecto técnico) are the professionals responsible for the work and all security measures. 

Once you have your architect, you will devise your project. You will need to find a contractor and get the appropriate permits. Look at several estimates before you decide.

You deal directly with the architect and the architect deals with the contractor. By all means visit the site as often as you like, but retain the chain of command, it will keep things clear and simple.


Payments in Mallorca


Architects are paid at the end of each successive phase, percentages which need to be established before work commences.

The contractor is paid monthly, after issuing a certificate for all work carried out during the month. The architect must review and ok the certificates every month before payment is made.


Insurance in Mallorca


The contractor must be fully insured for third party and damages and his workmen must be covered by social security.

The architects and technicians need to provide their own professional insurance.


Building permits and licenses in Mallorca


Permits for major construction (Obra mayor) - For new or restoration projects.

Permits for minor construction (Obra menor) - For renovation projects.

Both permits are issued by the Town hall (Ayuntamiento) and calculated as a percentage of final (estimated) construction fee plus the difference based on actual cost).

Construction permit request (Solicitud de Licencia).

Certificate for Habitability (Celula de Habitabilidad) - Certifies construction fulfils habitability regulations – issued by Autonomous community.

Licence of Initial Occupation (Licencia de Primera Ocupación) - Approves construction and gives permission for utilities.


Home Energy Efficiency Certificates in Mallorca


In line with other European countries, property owners in Spain are required to have energy efficiency certificates if they are building a new property and before they sell or rent their home.

The certificate provides information on the energy characteristics of the property, rating from A to G, whereby A is the most energy efficient and G is the least.

You can apply for the certificate online via the official governmental page.

The form will ask you for basic information on the owner, the property and location.

An onsite audit is carried out by a technician. The technician will then calculate the property's energy efficiency via an authorised computer software system which will issue the property with a grade, from A to G, along with recommendations for improvements.

The certificate is then registered by the property owner at the Autonomous Community Administration Offices (Dirección General de Industria y Energia).